Leadership in Practice: Essentials for Public Health and Healthcare Leaders (Original PDF from Publisher)
By Susan Helm-Murtagh DrPH MM, Paul C. Erwin MD DrPH
Leadership in Practice prepares leaders for the unpredictability, complexity, ambiguity, and uncertainty they will face while leading public health and healthcare organizations and teams. It equips leaders with practical, sustainable, and universal skills, abilities, and intangibles needed to thrive in a constantly-evolving environment.
Building on a solid theoretical foundation, Leadership in Practice addresses the challenges leaders face in many contexts by exploring the skills and behaviors necessary for the effective practice of leadership. Integrating the most relevant leadership theories, their history, evidence, and application in public health and healthcare, chapters focus on the essential competencies that leaders in public health and healthcare must master, including effective dialogue, ethical leadership and moral courage, systems thinking, strategic thinking and analysis, and emotional intelligence. The textbook discusses the many challenges leaders face, including change leadership, developing an equity mindset, effective leadership during organizational crises, and meaningful engagement with the communities served. Case studies relevant to public health and healthcare examine topics such as leadership during COVID-19, Hurricane Katrina and other natural disasters, community engagement and team building, hiring diverse personnel, preventing burnout, and more to provide lessons learned from real-world examples.
Leadership in Practice brings together a diverse array of leaders and a wide range of voices to impart wisdom and share unique perspectives and experiences from public health and healthcare settings. This authoritative resource is essential for anyone training in public health, healthcare management, and related health professions, and illustrates why it is critical to learn from leaders who possess different worldviews, experiences, and training backgrounds. Leadership in Practice provides you with expert insight on building the right leadership framework and developing a meaningful leadership style for your own leadership practice.
- Describes the core principles, skills, traits, and behaviors for effective leadership in practice
- Includes engaging case studies demonstrating leadership intangibles, applications, and real-world context in public health and healthcare settings
- Builds self-awareness through self-assessments and reflection exercises
- Provides wisdom and insight from notable and diverse leaders in the field
- Leads students and professionals to the development of their own framework upon which to build and continuously evolve their leadership practice
- Publisher : Springer Publishing Company; 1st edition (August 28, 2022)
- Language : English
- Paperback : 400 pages
- ISBN-10 : 0826149235
- ISBN-13 : 978-0826149237
- ISBN-13 : 9780826149237
- eText ISBN: 9780826149244